I don’t always ‘celebrate’ the full moon, but I definitely acknowledge it, aka look up at it in awe and wonder. Seriously, the moon is this amazing, beautiful thing.
I haven’t done a ton of research into the lunar cycle, but from what I have read and heard this is what I’ve got to share.
New Moon — answer the phrase: “I want…"
+ similar to our menstrual phase
+ a time for new beginnings, optimism, and hope
Waxing Moon — ask yourself: “If I were free…”
+ similar to our follicular phase
+ good for growth and learning
Full Moon — answer the phrase: “I release…"
+ similar to our ovulatory phase
+ the time for our peak energy, and feeling gratitude
Waning Moon — ask yourself: “I feel…"
+ similar to our luteal phase
+ time for you to let go, cleanse and break habits
I’ve also seen that if you journal for the new moon the full moon is the time to release and let go. And here is what I’ve compiled for a little journaling ritual for the full moon.
1. meditate or sit quietly for 5-10 minutes
2. write a list of who you want to release (people, situations, habits)
3. ask yourself what you are looking for in life
4. where are you at emotionally, physically
5. what phase are you currently at in your menstrual cycle
6. do you have any goals or intentions at this point
7. burn or just tuck away and let go of that list you’ve written down
8. take a few minutes to clean your space to release that old energy and make way for fresh new energy
Simple, and not too fru-fru. And if you want something even simpler, just sit and think through these questions, acknowledge your thoughts and let them go.
It’s really all about what works for you.
The full moon will be this Sunday, probably when I’m hurtling through the sky somewhere on my way to Bristol. But I hope I can make time on the plane to sit and think through these questions for myself.
What are you ready to let go of this full moon?