Sometimes we all need a little mental health day. This isn’t a sick day. Nah, I can keep working when I’m sick, which I do.
But there are those days that you are mentally, physically and emotionally drained and just would be rubbish at work anyways so why not step back and take care of yourself for a day, or half day, or evening?
+ Plan it out ahead of time:
- do you need to tell your boss
- what do you need to get done to step back
- put up an out of office on your email
- make a list of what you’re going to do with your time
+ What are you going to do?
- is it a productive, get shit done, sort of day?
- is it a sleep in, take care of yourself, sort of day?
- or a combination of both?
Regardless there’s a few things to consider:
+ allow yourself to sleep in
- but don’t over do it
- or wake up early
+ shower and get ready,
- even if you’re wearing loungewear all day
+ don’t veg out all day
- you can but you won’t feel refreshed
- there’s time in the evening for this, or when you need a little break, but don’t lose your whole day doing this
+ eat nourishing meals (hell maybe even meal prep)
- either make yourself something at home
- get food, but not fast food (ok maybe one meal that not super healthy)
Some ideas of stuff to do:
+ go outside
- go for a walk/hike
+ reconnect with someone
- write a letter, call someone, meet for coffee
+ make it about you (self-care)
- put on a mask
- take a bath
- get a massage
- do your nails
+ sundays are my GMLT (get my life together) day, but maybe you need a week day to do this — hit reset
- get groceries
- clean my apartment
- plan out my week
+ run errands you’ve been putting off
- doesn’t seem exciting but you’ll feel good after
+ declutter an area of your house
- go through your shoes, your bathroom drawers, fridge
- it’s my free therapy, and I’m able to work through stuff
- or sit quietly for 5-10 minutes
Your personal, mental health day can be anything you want it to be. It really is tempting to just veg out on Netflix all day (we’re all guilty of that), but I promise you’re going to head back to the real world feeling so much better if you’ve made time to do nourishing things for yourself.
What are some of the things you do on a personal/mental health day, even if it’s on the weekend? And I should add that I know everyone can't take a day off work for themselves, but this doesn't mean you can skimp on these things. Make time for it in the evenings or on the weekends.